There are five "standard" email folders in every email account you create with Hotmail: the Inbox, where emails are downloaded by default, the Junk folder where presumed-Spam emails arrive, the Drafts folder where you can save emails, the Sent folder where a copy of each message you send is automatically kept, and Delete items folder (or "Trash"). But Windows Live Hotmail allows you to create your own, custom email folders, and as many as you'd like to keep your mail organized based on your preferences. This tutorial explains how to create new folders in Hotmail.
Make custom folders in Hotmail to store email messages
You will quickly outgrow your default inbox - here's how to create a folder:
- First, sign in to your email account, if needed, and go to your inbox.
- The easiest way to create an email folder inside your Hotmail account is to move your cursor (mouse pointer) above the "Folders" link / button on the left hand side: once the "gear" icon appears, click on it.
- Then, choose "Add a new folder" from the menu that opens:
- Hotmail Tip: the quickest way to create a new folder is to scroll down your folder listing, and clicking on the "New folder" link you will see above "Quick views":
- Windows Live Hotmail will then redirect to the "New folder" screen: type your new "Folder name" inside the text field, and double-check for typos.
- Leave the default value of the "Create in" dropdown menu selected to "Make it a top-level folder", unless you want to create a subfolder in Hotmail.
- To add your new folder to your email account, click on the "Save" button:
- Windows Live Hotmail will create the email folder and redirect you back to the "Manage Folders" screen. Just click on the "Inbox" link near the top left corner of the page to return to your email messages. You will now see that how has added the new email folder you just created on the left of the screen:
And this is all you need to do to add a new email folder and create folders in Hotmail!